Concordia University is recognized for its flexible approach to learning, and for their commitment to examining societal issues from a broad perspective through their teaching and research. The university is among the top universities and institutes in Quebec and in Canada for international and domestic students alike.The university is committed to innovation, creativity, and brilliance in the education sector. The university comprises of multiple faculties and includes the faculties of Arts and Science, Fine Arts, the Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science and the John Molson School of Business, a School of Graduate Studies, and a Centre for Continuing Education. Concordia University has nearly 48,000 students pursuing their educational and research goals at the university (2018), making the university among the most sought after in the country.
Brought forth by the merger of two main universities, Sir George Williams University and Loyola College, Concordia University was established in 1974. The University is a public research university located at the heart of the world-class city of Montreal, Canada.
Concordia University is spread across two campuses-
- Loyola Campus
- Sir George Williams Campus
Aim Of this university
With over 100 graduate and 300 undergraduate programs and courses, the university aims to provide innumerable options for students seeking meaningful career opportunities. John Molson School of Business of Concordia University has been consistently ranked among the top 10 business schools in Canada.
With 215,000 active alumni working worldwide, the university has a long list of notable alumni which include Aanchal Malhotra - Author, Shashank Arora - Actor, Maziar Bahari - Canadian-Iranian Journalist, Mordecai Richler - Canadian Writer, Will Arnett - Actor, Régine Chassagne - Canadian Singer-songwriter, Annie Proulx - American Novelist, James Tupper - Canadian Actor, Mutsumi Takahashi - Canadian Journalist, René Balcer - Canadian Television Writer among others.
- One of the most sought-after universities in Canada, the Concordia University has been ranked 477 by QS World University Rankings.
- It has been ranked 670 by US News & World report.
- The university has been ranked between 601 and 800 by Times Higher Education
- Between 601 and 700 by SRWU Shanghai Ranking.
- It is also ranked 1 in Canada Quality Education by THE Impact Rankings, 2020.
- It is ranked 1 among universities under 50 years in North America by THE Young University Rankings, 2020.
In order to be eligible for undergraduate programs at Concordia University, international students are required to achieve good grades and complete the level of education mentioned below:
- All-India Senior School Certificate or Pre-University Certificate or Higher Secondary Certificate or Intermediate Certificate or Indian School Certificate or Higher School Certificate
- If already in school, results of previous terms and a list of current courses
- IELTS Academic: An overall band score of 7 or better, with no component score under 5.5
- TOEFL iBT: Minimum overall score of 90 or higher; with a minimum combined score of 34 for writing and speaking
- PTE Academic: Minimum overall score of 61 or higher; with a minimum combined score of 46 for writing and speaking
- Letter of intent, interviews, portfolios and audition for some programs
- For graduate level, there is a minimum cumulative grade point average requirement which is as follows:
- For master’s degree, diploma and graduate certificate programs, a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with high standing (Honors, a GPA equivalent to a B average, and specialization)
- For doctoral programs, a master’s degree (or equivalent) with high standing (Honors or a GPA equivalent to a B average)
- English language proficiency requirements as per the program applied for as every faculty has its minimum acceptable language scores
Documents need For application
After submitting the online application, international students need to submit documents as per the program applied for. There are a few general documents which are required for every program. For some programs, additional documents may be required. The documents can be uploaded in pdf, jpeg, tif, jpg, gif, bmp, doc, docx, rtf, and txt formats. The maximum file size should be 5 MB. The maximum limit for file names is 64 characters.
For undergraduate program application, international students are required to upload an unofficial copy of transcripts from all previous institutions. The unofficial transcript should include full name, date of birth, school name, years attended, courses with grades and the school’s grading scale. The official transcripts are needed, once admitted. Another required document for international students is English language proficiency scores. Besides, letter of intent, portfolio or other additional documents might be required for application to some programs at Concordia University.
While applying for graduate programs, international students require official transcripts and English language proficiency score report as mandatory documents. Some programs might require additional documents such as Letters of Recommendation (LOR), Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Statement of Purpose (SOP).
There is a wide range of programs and courses for both undergraduate and graduate level. With more than 200 programs, the university offers degrees, certificates and diplomas under the mentorship of more than 2,400 professors and librarians. Concordia University has more than 10,000 international students who are given the freedom to create and fulfil their academic goals.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
At Concordia University, a number of scholarships and financial aids with varying criteria are available for international students. The scholarships are mainly based on academic achievement, community involvement, financial need and participation in other activities. Every year, the university brings out scholarships and awards which the students can check from the latest bulletins on awards and apply accordingly. The scholarships, which are available for undergraduate international students starting Fall 2021 semester, are as follows:
Concordia Presidential Scholarship
This merit-based scholarship is given only to international students who are studying full time in an undergraduate program and attending the university for the first time. This scholarship, which covers tuition and fees, books and living costs based on Concordia’s residency rate, is awarded on the basis of academic excellence and community leadership.
Concordia International Scholars
This scholarship supports full-time international students who have shown resilience and maintained academic excellence by overcoming personal hardships. Awarded to only students who are attending the university for the first time, this scholarship is given only to two students from any faculty. This scholarship will cover tuition and fees and can be renewed up to four years, provided the students meet all renewal requirements.
The graduate students are automatically considered for these scholarships, provided they meet the eligibility criteria. Concordia University offers competitive funding packages, allowing students to focus on their research and studies. The four-year funding package is typically offered to Doctoral students. These packages are often topped up by teaching and research assistantships.
Students taking admission to the university would be introduced to the Concordia lifestyle, which is an urban lifestyle that keeps you active, engaged, and connected. The university is fueled by creativity and diversity, just like the city around you. Living in Montreal will open your eyes – and your mind. Students are encouraged to engage in clubs, sports, professional networks, and support services to balance their life, work, and study.